Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Meet me....and my phone

Anyone who knows me can probably tell you what kind of phone I have. Why? They see it as soon as they see me, it's attached to my hand. I don't go anywhere without my phone. I walk to the other room in my house and my phone goes with me. I go to bed and my phone goes with me, I even have it playing while I'm in the shower. In reality, the phone is not attached to me but I am attached to the phone. There are those of you who would laugh at this and not understand but others shake their head in agreement.
The phone is no longer just a phone, it's a lifeline, a connection to everything the outside world has to offer. The phone is your music player, tv, internet, camera, alarm clock, and gaming system. The Facebook notifications straight to your phone guarantee you don't miss a thing.  Notifications from your games tell you that someone is waiting to play a game with you.
I've had my smartphone for a year now and I went all out and enjoyed every perk that it had to offer and now I'm getting tired of it. It's something that comes on slowly when you realize that it has infiltrated itself so deeply in your life. You don't realize at first that you take it every where and when you do realize it you make excuses that you need it. You have to be reachable for some reason or another.
So I am making a change in my life and it's already started. I don't reach for my phone with every Facebook notification or every text message. I want to enjoy the people I am with when I am with them and that means putting the phone away. I don't need to have it out all the time and I don't need it all the time. I don't have to play every game or read every comment on someone else's post. There is more to life than social media.
I want to have a face to face life, I want to be seen and not just another one of those attached to the phone. It got me to thinking when I was at Starbucks the other day, there is a group of older gentlemen who are there all the time and if you have gone there more than once you know who they are, or they know you. They sit and talk in the morning and share coffee and socialize with whoever comes into the store. This day they started having a talk with someone about phones, how instead of spending time with people they sit on their cell phones. I have heard this same thing from my grandmother, she's right. So I'm making a conscious effort to change it. This means putting the devices away, I don't need to play Draw Something when I'm visiting with my grandparents. I don't need to check my Facebook when I'm waiting for church to start. I don't need to reply to that text when I'm putting my kids to bed.
This is my resolution, my standard, I will be more aware of the time I'm spending with others. I will put my cell phone away and let it beep without rushing to it. The people around me are more important than this and it's time that I show them. 

1 comment: