Wednesday, March 16, 2016

These hands

I saw a piece of myself in a whole new way last night. I was walking on the treadmill and thanks to my stature I was able to see just my hands. It was odd to see them that way, kind of disconnected from me. They looked nearly unrecognizable. A person can recognize the back of their hand better than anyone else, but to me I couldn't see it. In the mirror they held a certain mystique that I hadn't seen before. 
My hands looked older, and perhaps even more so because of the workout I had just done. The veins bulging in a way only a phlebotomist would love. They are small but they have done so much. The hours I have spent writing with these hands, the children they have held, the dishes they have washed, the weight they have carried, they are all moments I am grateful for. 
My hands are something I have often taken for granted, as we all do. They are tools that we use for whatever we need. We do so much with them that the last time we looked at them was when we were getting dirt off them. 
A moment in time, a simple stop to look and appreciate all my hands have done for me made my day yesterday. It also made me realize how much I have aged. I don't see it in my face, maybe because I don't want to, or maybe because all of that moisturizing and preventive care that I so liberally embellish on my face. The hands, each of which serve me so well are left of that beauty routine. In the end it all comes down to care. 
I think after today I will show a little more care to my hands. The way they have cared for everyone and everything else in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment