Monday, December 12, 2011

What am I wearing?

I find myself being quite fashionable lately, I wear what I want, when I want to wear it. There is no one to tell me what to wear or even what they prefer, it's all about me. I remember when I weighed over 200 pounds I would see people who wore these cute outfits and I wished that could be me. I tried to wear cute outfits then but at 5'4 and 228 pounds my distribution of weight made me look like a bumpy, lumpy mess.
So now I love to shop for new clothes, when I go out I want to look good. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good, the question is the motive behind it.
We tell our youth group that being popular is not the most important thing in high school. The most important thing is to be themselves and live for God. Fitting in with the popular crowd by wearing what they wear, doing what they do is not important. That being said I had to take a look at myself, Starbucks in hand on my way to get my nails done with my knee high boots, skinny jeans and leather jacket. Get the picture? Am I setting the right example? Who am I dressing for?
There was a time of 2 months when I would watch "What not to Wear" religiously. I listened to everything they said about dressing nice, looking good, and fashion faux pas. I was determined not to let that happen to me. However if you catch me driving my son to school you might want to turn away, I'm not a morning person. Other than that I have to match my shoes and pants, t-shirts go with tennis shoes, tailored shoes go with boots or heels. I have to wear the right jewelry with the right top.
Is what I wear really that important? Yes, because the way you dress reflects who you are and how you want others to see you. Who am I? I am a young mother who works hard and loves life. The way I want others to see me is what motivates most of us. I dress to look nice, to stay up with current fashions. I want others to see me as someone who is current, successful, and thin, shallow somewhat. I also dress in a way to attract the right type of people. Even though I could wear some outfits I choose not too because it attracts the wrong type of people. Modesty is the best policy.
We see images of what is popular, fashionable, and what is not. We base our ideas on what we see celebrities and those around us wearing. I am guilty of looking at magazines and celebrities to see what is considered fashionable. The most important thing is to be yourself. This goes against everything that What not to Wear says but it's true. If you feel like going goth, go goth. If you feel like wearing rainbow colored socks, wear them. Don't hide yourself in what is fashionable. Some days I want to wear t-shirt, jeans, and and chunky bracelets. It's about being who you are. This is who I am, and no matter what day you catch me on, my personality is always the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment