Monday, October 15, 2012

Lifetime of Service

My Grandparents will be married for 54 years this December. They have 4 children, 10 grandchildren and in December will have 10 great grandchildren. They met and married all in the same year, times have not always been easy as both of them admit. When asked what their secret to a long marriage was they said they were just right for each other. After spending a couple of days with them and watching how they interact with each other I am convinced they are correct.
The differences they have are what make them unique, Grandma quilts and is a football fan, Grandpa is a techie and a can fix anything. Their roles are what most would call traditional, and even some may call outdated. What I saw was a couple who after many years were together and content. The thing that spoke volumes to me is that I never heard either one of them complain. They did things for each other without hesitation. Their lives are so integrated that from the outside the way they work together flows. It has been a lifetime of compromise, of learning and doing what is best for the family, not just themselves.
While I know from personal experience that marriage is not easy I have a beautiful example of what it can be when it's right. The inspiration from my grandparents and parents show that it is possible if you are willing to work for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment