Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Time out!

In the chaos of life we sometimes forget to stop and listen to what God has to say to us in our every day lives. A few weeks ago I took a time out. I was convinced that one thing was keeping me from being the perfect Christian that God wanted me to be.
Rule #1 GOD DOES NOT EXPECT US TO BE PERFECT!!!! This blog is purely for me in the sense that I seem to think that my life has to be perfect and fit into this box. Here's the deal, my life doesn't fit into a box. It never has, so why was I so determined that it has to now? Because I thought I had control,  I thought that I made the mistakes before and I could stop any and all mistakes.
Rule #2 BE QUIET! God has something to say if we take the time and listen. Who would have thought if we actually take time out and listen to what God has to say we could get some real insight. It's a pretty far out concept, but it was exactly what I needed.
My time out occurred when I was overwhelmed with everything in my life. It seemed like all these things were just piling on my list of things that made me feel like a failure. I mean I'm almost 30, divorced, and living at home with my parents. It's enough to be a blow to anyone's ego. I thought I could just work harder and things would work out. Turns out that it's not the case. I've been told that I just need to suck it up and deal with things. That I shouldn't rely on my parents, that anyone can make it if they just try hard enough.
My life is not always easy and while financially I am getting by there is always a cost to the choices we make. I've learned that while I'm here I can do things with my children that they might not otherwise get to experience. I've learned that while I'm here I can be a blessing to others. I've learned that while I'm here I can keep moving forward and go back to school.
My time out I learned that I have so much more to offer, that I have a calling and it goes beyond church ministry, but it takes everything I know and everything I have been taught and it rolls it into this amazing thing. I have something so amazing to look forward to.
No ones life fits into a box, it is something that we all must learn for ourselves. We have this idea of the perfect life, of what things should be like but it never ends up that way. The white picket fence, the 2.5 kids, the American dream is what we are taught. My reality is far different, and it stresses me out some days, but it's my life and I love it. I am happy, and my life has meaning and purpose.

A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9

No comments:

Post a Comment