Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Reaching the finish line


This weekend I did something kind of crazy, I went and walked/ran a 10k. Normally this would not be something as crazy, but actually a very good thing. It would have been even more amazing if I had trained and prepared for it. The crazy part was I thought I could just go and walk/run this 10k and it would be easy, a walk in the park was my thinking. I was sadly mistaken, as my sore and protesting legs can attest to.

As I thought about my journey this weekend and the reason why I took it, I thought of another race that we run every day. It just seemed to fit, because here I go thinking I can just run into things with no training and no preparation and do this. Our walk with God is not a sprint, not a short walk that’s going to be easy. There is preparation and training that’s required, but it’s also about starting.

At the race I was at there were people from every different fitness level, some ran slower, some ran faster, some just walked. They all went at the pace they felt they could. Some pushed themselves too hard; others just kind of strolled through it leisurely.  How often do we take that approach to our walk with God?

There are some, the long distance marathoners; they have trained for this day for years. They keep running and everyone looks at them in awe and amazement at what they can accomplish. Then there are those who are there, who trained and prepared but they still can only go so fast. Then others who just decide to walk it out, maybe because they thought it would be easy, or because it’s all they can do.

Each race, each racer is going to be different, not everyone gets to the finish line. Some time ago I was looking at Christian artists that I used to listen to in the 90’s. I was curious to see if they were still singing or what they were doing with their lives. I found out that some of them had gone a different path, and after being this huge example to young Christian lives they took another course. It’s not easy to continue living for God your entire life, it’s a marathon. 

I took the easy way when I walked/ran the 10k, I saw others pass me by and part of me wished I could be as fast and run as nicely as they did.  The problem is without the training I knew that if I tried to run like they did I would wear myself out and not be able to finish. It was not fun being the last in lane, but I kept pressing on.Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning it’s shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.  Hebrews 12:1-3.

Regardless of how fast you run, how pretty you look doing it, what matters is that you make it to the end. You may have started out running a fast pace but slowed and tapered off, but just keep going. There is no competition in this race, you do not have to outpace, or beat anyone else. You don’t have to slow down to keep someone else company.  This race is only about one thing, staying the course, don’t stop, and keep going. We all have things that can take us down, pull us out, but we can’t stop.

The best thing of all during my race was someone in the half marathon, she sprained her foot, at the time thought she possibly broke it with only 4 miles into the race. Regardless of the pain she felt with every step, she made it through to the finish line. One foot in front of the other all the way to the end, she didn’t let it pull her down and keep her out of the race.  No matter what the obstacle, she overcame it.

In the end I ran to the finish line, I could see it within my reach. I wasn’t the slowest and I for sure wasn’t the fastest. I got a medal just like everyone else. I didn’t go into to try and be the first one at the finish line, I went to enjoy the time and do something I had never done before. I finished, next year I hope that maybe I can be a little faster, actually run. Until then, I keep pressing on and going forward in my walk with God, until I reach the finish.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment