Friday, July 1, 2011

Fear not

The dictionary describes fear as an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat; a mixed feeling of dread and reverence ( fear for) a feeling of anxiety concerning the outcome of something or the safety and well-being of someone the likelihood of something unwelcome happening.
Circumstances in my life has caused me to look and see what I truly fear. What is that unpleasant emotion that is stirring inside of me. An uneasiness rests in me and it has been recent. I try to be brave and strong but there are moments that I realize that I am only human. 
The verse in 2nd Timothy says it best, "For I have not given you a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind. 1:7 KJV.  Though I am human I have fear but God does not give me that spirit, he gives me power to overcome it, love to be comforted through it, and a sound mind to realize what is real and what is false. 
What is real? What is false? We all have fears that we must overcome but we have to see the reality of our fear. I am not afraid of snakes but I know that I get too close to a rattlesnake it will bite me. A sound mind, that is what I have been given to distinguish the reality from the deception. The prowler in the backyard, is a cat that jumped in the trash can. The strange noise in the other room is the printer going off.  Our minds can play tricks on us. 
When does it become real? When is the moment that it crosses the threshold to become a legitimate fear? I grew up not afraid of bugs, snakes, spiders, frogs because I knew about them. I could touch them and see that they did not hurt or if they did I knew to stay away. The fear I had was not something that you could touch but something I saw as I was growing up. It was a legitimate fear for many years but I worried for nothing. 
Face your fears, I have heard that for years and I don't think I truly understood it until now. You have to see what is inside you that drives that fear. Is it a perception or reality? When does fear change to danger?
Danger as defined by the dictionary is the possibility of suffering harm or injury :a person or thing that is likely to cause harm or injury :the possibility of something unwelcome or unpleasant
Fear is the perception, danger is the reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment