Monday, August 19, 2013

Patience is a virtue

There are times when I think I shouldn't write a blog, there are other times when I know I shouldn't and do it anyway, then there are times when I should and I don't. Today I'm not really sure which day that is, so if my writings make no sense today then maybe it's a day I shouldn't have written. The truth is I have been struggling with patience. 
Patience is a virtue. I've heard it all my life and I know that it says I should be patient, but I don't want to! I want what I want and I want it now! We go through our life being told to wait for something, it could be something as small as a drink of water from mom, to dinner until it's ready, for the right job, for the check in the mail. We are always waiting for something. Be patient we are told, over and over. 
Why must we be patient? I know the answer. I know that not everything can be done at certain times. If  I had everything I wanted when I wanted it I would probably be a mess. It's not that I'm not a mess right now but it would be worse. 
We want to win the lottery, have that millions of dollars and live a life of luxury. What happens when you get the money and then spend it all. You are no better off then what you were before, just now perhaps with luxury items you can no longer afford to keep. 
We all have our moments, our things in life that we want, that we don't want to wait for. I want to stamp my feet like a child and yell but I can't, or maybe this blog is my way of throwing a tantrum. I'm not sure right now. I get into my mood and then I'm gently reminded that not too long ago 1 Corinthians 13 was impressed upon my heart. I didn't quite understand it at the time, but I know that when God puts something on your heart, it's for good reason. What did I do? I spent the next couple days thinking about it and writing it over and over. It's once again a gentle reminder that good things are worth waiting for. 
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
If I have love, the love of God as I claim then I should be patient, because love is patient. God's love is patient. I know that God has a purpose and a plan for my life. If I keep following his direction and be patient, trusting in His love for me that always perseveres I will end up with a happy blessing. There are things in life that you can't rush, that you shouldn't rush. Even as much as we are impatient, patience is more than just a virtue, it's love. Love is patient and always perseveres. That's pretty cool to know our God is faithful if we show a little love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment